Sunday, August 31, 2008

On Changes

Anyone familiar with my politics knows I've been against the Bush Company from Day One. I swore I'd never vote for a Republican. I'll probably keep that promise but by staying home on election day. A promise is a promise.

On the other hand, anyone familiar with this blog knows I won't vote for Barack Obama. He is the classic Southern-style Elmer Gantry with a Harvard degree in law and so far, a charismatic speaker without an ounce of credible experience to back up his lofty and inspiring but ultimately hollow promises. And a promise is a promise.

McCain's choice for VP is generating controversy, but it does signify change. I'm sure we'll hear more, but on the political blogs, all I am hearing is smear from the left. One pundit went so far as to accuse Governor Palin of being responsible for the condition of her youngest child.

Downs Syndrome is a chromosomal defect caused by extra genetic material (21st chromosome). The facts are all there. All Governor Palin did was decide to let the pregnancy proceed to term and then raise her child. If you have a problem with that, take it up with your pastor, your spouse, shrink or fellow Obamabot.

My son told me last night why he objects to Obama. He said, "They don't support him. They worship him. That's scary and wrong."

If we admire Sarah Palin, it is because in the face of hard choices, she made the right choices. If we don't admire Obama, perhaps like my son, we don't like what he represents, mindless adoration, subservience to the media machine, and in the end, a man who cannot choose between a pastor teaching hatred from the pulpit and his own political ambitions.

The Democrats put on a good show, but their smugness and superiority over the people who get up every day and go to work, who when faced with a lifetime of caring for a child that will almost certainly never be able to care for themselves completely in their life, choose life, that reveals the depth of the hypocrisy at the center of their campaign. These people are about The Great Get Even, and that is not something I can vote for.

Whatever else you think of Sarah Palin, she promised her child a life. A promise is a promise.

Maybe that is the change we need: elected officials who keep their promises.

No comments:

Comment Policy

If you don't sign it, I won't post it. To quote an ancient source: "All your private property is target for your enemy. And your enemy is me."